Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Importing SVG > weird offsets
chrisb78
Beginner
Post Importing SVG > weird offsets
on: November 8, 2017, 11:36

Hey Sandy,
We're having this weird problem - vectors look correct within inkscape, but the same file has these strange offsets in the Polargraph controller.

What could we be doing wrong? Thanks for all help!
Chris

kongorilla
Pro
kongorilla
Post Re: Importing SVG > weird offsets
on: November 8, 2017, 21:33

Have you tried completely ungrouping all the paths, so the file is just a flat list of paths with no hierarchy?

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: November 8, 2017, 21:45

That's a puzzler Chris... Does it always offset in the same way, or are there any dynamic effects to do with the size / cropping etc? I mean, do the problems scale and move as if they're a part of the artwork?

Unfortunately the SVG loading is a wee bit of a "black box", it's done through a library called Geomerative with a simple line (rg.loadShape(..) - https://github.com/euphy/polargraphcontroller/blob/master/polargraphcontroller.pde#L1274) and there isn't any post-processing of the lines.

When I've had odd offsets, I've sometimes been solved by ungrouping or flattening all objects to their most unsophisticated level. I think there's a feature of SVG that isn't implemented well in geomerative/polargraph, and something to do with local coordinates or grouping.

Otherwise, is there another SVG version format you could save it in, or something else you could pass it through that'll do a load and re-save?

sn

bdsmith1
bdsmith1
on: July 25, 2018, 05:45

100% fix for me was to do two steps in inkscape:
1. ungroup the segments; select object and press ctl+sft+g
2. break apart segments; while still selected press ctl+sft+k

save svg and load in controller.

Let me know if that works for you!

Brian

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.