Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SVG differences between polargraphcontroller 2.1.1 & 2.3.0
DaniK
Beginner
DaniK
Post SVG differences between polargraphcontroller 2.1.1 & 2.3.0
on: March 7, 2016, 20:06

Hey,

this is kind of a follow up to this discussion:
http://www.polargraph.co.uk/forum/polargraphs-group2/troubleshooting-forum5/saw-tooth-circle-and-dubious-text-thread395/

But as it is slightly different, I thought I start a new topic now:

After some experimenting with other drawing styles I got back to my pixelation "problem"....and tadaaa: new surprises! 🙂
I know that you changed something in the preview settings, as it runs MUCH faster now (thanks!) 🙂 ....but it seems to have influence on how SVGs actually get drawn...

I took the exact same SVG I generated through Illustrator (one with rectangles (upper) and the other one with circles (lower)) and generated the code once for each in 2.1.1 and 2.3.0.
I didn't screenshot the vector path preview..but already the preview of the file looks very different in both versions...and it gets exactly drawn like in the preview of 2.3.0 (also loading of the same vector file in 2.3.0 takes much longer....so I guess you some pre-processing?)

Somehow the circles-version looks very circular now when actually drawn from version 2.1.1 (no jittery saw-tooth circle problem, weird...) and in version 2.3.0 they are little hexagons...in the preview AND actually drawn out....(love the result though! 😀 )

In both polargraphcontroller versions I changed the setting to RS.UNIFORMLENGTH and both run the 1600 revs settings....

So my question:
Can I actually change it "easily" and temporarily back somewhere in the settings or the code, that circles get processed with more control points and not just 6? I mean I don't really mind as I can still use the 2.1.1. but at one point you might be so far off in the future that it won't work anymore, so I would like to be prepared 😎

And many thanks Sandy for your continuous great efforts and work on the Polargraph! So much appreciated!

sandy
Administrator
sandy
Post Re: SVG differences between polargraphcontroller 2.1.1 & 2.3.0
on: March 13, 2016, 21:19

This is excellent analysis, thank you for taking the effort to be so complete.

Do you run the app from source (through Processing IDE), or from a compiled binary?
Where I'm driving at there is whether it could be a different version of the geomerative library being used. Of course, it's more likely that there's an unintentional actual algorithmic change. Let me have a dig around 🙂

sn

DaniK
Beginner
DaniK
on: March 14, 2016, 09:00

I run the app from source directly through Processing (2.2.1, haven't upgraded yet -> kind of a "never touch a running system" approach 😉 ) (the executable doesn't run on my computer...haven't figured out why...I guess it's the XP -> the other "never touch a running system 😉 , but it doesn't matter, as I know my way around processing enough to do so)

I am pretty sure I still use the geomerative library that came with the polargraphcontroller bundle on November 10th last year. But checking online, it seems the library hasn't changed since 2012 anyway....-> http://www.ricardmarxer.com/geomerative/ ?

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: March 21, 2016, 22:28

DaniK, is there any chance you could drop me a copy of your example svg (sandy dot noble at gmail)?

I've had a bit of a dig through, can't see much difference between code then and code now.

Compare:
"https://github.com/euphy/polargraphcontroller/compare/v2.1.1...master"

But now I can't get it working nicely with v2.1.1 either!

sn

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: March 28, 2016, 13:20

Well, I changed the polygonizer back to RG.ADAPTATIVE and that seems to bring back our proper rendering.

RG.setPolygonizer(RG.UNIFORMLENGTH);
//  RG.setPolygonizer(RG.ADAPTATIVE);

https://github.com/euphy/polargraphcontroller/blob/master/polargraphcontroller.pde#L543

Don't know why I didn't spot that in the diff as the likely culprit earlier.

So I remember the discussion that preceded this change, and the change was targetting at improving rendering in a slightly different context and scale. Personally, I think angular accuracy (as shown in DaniK's small-scale work) is more noticeably problematic than the curvey accuracy that is discussed in the "sawtooth and dubious text" thread (http://www.polargraph.co.uk/forum/polargraphs-group2/troubleshooting-forum5/saw-tooth-circle-and-dubious-text-thread395/), so I'm going to switch back to RG.ADAPTATIVE as the default for the next release.

Thank you very much to DaniK for providing such excellent troubleshooting support around this - really appreciate that.

I'll try to get that setting as a configurable thing, stored in the properties file, because I can see reasons for changing the setting to suit the artwork.

DaniK, can you try changing that line to ADAPTATIVE too, and see if it fixes it for you too? I kind of had the impression that you'd already tried it.

sn

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: March 28, 2016, 15:44

Just committed v2.4: https://github.com/euphy/polargraphcontroller/tree/v2.4.0

(new bundle release: https://github.com/euphy/polargraphcontroller/releases/tag/2016-03-29-10-23)

Made polygonizer swappable between ADAPTATIVE and UNIFORMLENGTH, and there's a slider to change what the length is (for UNIFORMLENGTH).

In retrospect, that is the difference, and the reason that this only shows up on details of a certain scale. There is a default polygonizer length - and there was no way to tune it before.

It's quite interesting now, if you change to polygonizer=1 (ie UNIFORMLENGTH), then you can swipe the polygonizer length up and down and get a rather pleasing filtering effect. Try it.

sn

DaniK
Beginner
DaniK
on: March 29, 2016, 12:57

Sandy this is awesome!!! Thanks!

I didn't even realize how terrible zooming was before I knew how easy it could be 😀 (I have to admit, that might be the best update so far, because I didn't expect it..ha!)

The new polygonizer feature is amazing! I love it!

But just fyi, I tried both options then (RG.ADAPTATIVE and RG.UNIFORMLENGTH) in the polargraphcontroller 2.3.0...and just now again to verify...it doesn't change anything in the vector-preview just the queue -preview....but it is anyway now irrelevant... 😉 In 2.4.0 it works like a charm.

I love the fact, that i can control that output now, that came out accidently here...I am going to fake wind-vector-simulations (CFD) now with my polargraph 😎

A BIG THANK YOU AGAIN!
D

sandy
Administrator
sandy
on: March 29, 2016, 16:31

Fast work DaniK - and those drawings are looking great too, glad you like it 🙂 Just have to see if Visualbyte likes it too 🙂

sn

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.